INVALID_UTF8_DATA

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:03 PM

I purged all the copyright and trademark characters that I could find in my CSV file, but when I try to import the ENEX file created by converter.py, I get the message, "Could not import notes, error: INVALID_UTF8_DATA (Error in line 342 token..."

What offensive character is left??

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Several good text editors have the ability to find and replace "Regular Expressions".  If you don't have one, I suggest a free on called NOTEPAD++:
http://notepad-plus-plus.org

Here is what I posted to a previous user who had a similar problem:

What you might want to do is convert to the .ENEX, then edit it.  There is a free program called NOTEPAD++ that is a good editor.  In it, you can press CNTL-H for the replace screen, click the "Regular Expression" button at the lower left in "Search Mode".  Copy this in the "Find what:" box: [\x80-\xFF]  and make sure the "Replace with" has nothing in it. then click "Replace all" and it will tell you how many it replaced (only one in the file you sent me).

(This tip came from here:   http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3001177/how-do-i-grep-for-non-ascii-characters-in-unix,)

Neal

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Excellent instructions, and it worked well - 14 "catches" were deleted.

Thanks. Since I have over 950 notes. Your Phatnotes to Evernote Converter is saving me days of hand work.

Bill

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Another user was having trouble with UTF-8 (in his 700 notes) because he had "bullets" in his notes. Here is what he said fixed it:

So, when I opened the ENEX file in Notepad++, trying different things to see what might work, I went to save the file and noticed at the bottom is the Encoding box.  I changed it to UTF-8, and it imported.  I have no idea really what this means, but UTF-8 kept coming up in the error box.

Neal Walters

P.S.  It's probably also just a matter of learning how to do UTF-8 or UTF-16 in Python, but once I got my notes converted, I haven't had a lot of motivation to enhance the code further.  If anyone else wants to participate and fix it, the help is welcome!